Human being is always looking for improving their daily life. Optimizing working processes and making daily activities easier are some of the main goals for tech development. So, what have been the best hits that have helped people to simplify life since last century? Here is a selection of some technological advances that made a real difference and that now are used ay time:
- Code Bar: This code made of bars with different thickness, spaces and numbers is the best way to identify an unique product. It was patented in 1952 in the United States to identify railcars. Nowadays is massively used all around the world for commercial purposes.
- Ballpoint pen: Though pens were used to write on paper long time ago, it was in 1943 when ballpoint pens were invented to resolve ink problems when writing with traditional pens. Ladislao Biro, its inventor, also patented roll-on deodorants.
- Credit cards: Invented in 1950, these cards allowed customers to receive credit to pay for services and goods without carrying cash. Also, credit cards are universal in the way that can be used in the most of the commerces. They’re kind of a standard, so it’s so easy to pay anywhere. Also, they’re one of the most common payment method when shopping online. Just introduce their account number, personal data and the purchase is done.
- CD: Compact Discs allow users to save their data on a digital support which has a disk shape. One standard CD can store up to 700 MB of data. This method was devised in 1980 aiming to save digital audio, but it was fastly adapted to any other kind of files, documents and goals.
- USB drives: USB standard allows to connect almost any kind of devices, so this is perfect for saving and sharing data. The big advantage of USB flash drives and pendrives (since year 2000) is that their capacity is much larger than a CD. An USB drive can store many gigabytes in a very tiny space, it can be customized, and it also can be connected to any other device with n USB port.
- Digital cameras: The possibility to save images picked with a camera without waiting to reveal a photo film, as we know it, was real in 1988. Digital cameras also allow to share photos with other digital and electronic devices such as computers, TVs, smartphones, tablets… Now we don’t need physic albums, just a digital screen. Furthermore, we can retouch and improve our own photos easily with photography apps.
- Personal computers: When PC was invented on the 70s decade, a new era started. The computers became popular and they could be used by almost anybody for work, for their quotidian lives and also for gaming. Nowadays everybody has or shares a personal computer, cause it is indispensable to many of our daily tasks.
- E-Mail and instant messaging: A revolutionary way to communicate with others was the online messages via mail since 1971. Nowadays, since the 10s decade, instant messaging programs such as Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, Line, Kik and many more have become even more popular than e-mail when talking about instant communication.
GPS navigators: These devices are based on global position technologies and help to locate GPS connected objects anywhere on Earth. Since it was first used in 1964, it has become one of the most efficient methods to find a location, very useful when driving or when looking for a place we’ve never been before and don’t know how to get.